Being a parent requires a certain kind of resourcefulness. And when it comes to exercise, as active parents, we can tap into that creativity and think outside the box. Living a healthy, energetic lifestyle doesn’t have to mean spending hours at the gym each day. So, how can we get our workout in, while at the same time making sure our little one is having fun too?
Here are some practical ideas to try out on your family:
- Go for a walk at least once a day: if your baby is just learning to walk, you can alternate the stroller and walking, or wear your baby; watch for landmarks, or animals, or anything you can think of to engage your child (and yourself) as you go. Wear leg weights if you want to take it up a notch.
- House party: Dance around the house to your favorite tunes; this is not only stress relieving and fantastic exercise, but a bonding experience. You may even pick up some new moves from your toddler!
- Work in the yard: Kids adore dirt, so let them dig and pull weeds while you do the more intensive labor.
- Chores around the house: integrate exercises into daily chores such as stepping up and down on your stool while dusting, or doing a different yoga position in each room of the house. Your toddler can try to do some of these as well. Post exercises on the fridge each week and try to complete them all.
- When you’re at the playground: Find a bar and do some pull ups; look around and see what else you can come up with while having a grand old time with your baby.
- Plan active playdates such as walking around the zoo with friends or going on a hike. Check out our eco-friendly infant activewear that will keep your baby dry and comfy while playing their heart out!
- Play like a toddler: Get down to your child’s level and mimic their actions. They will love it and you will most likely get a good workout in!
Children emulate their parents, and we are inspired by our babies to be the best we can be. Showing our kids, from infancy on, how to be fit, strong, inventive and motivated, is a way of life that enriches the entire family. We hope you are inspired to find new and clever ways to get active with your little adventurers!